Colour is a simple and powerful way to send a message. Colours portray a wide range of emotions without even saying a word. Colours highlight something more significant in our lives which can be easily dismissed. The role colour represents in our visual world is paramount.
Have you ever walked into a friend’s new living room, looked at the red or grey walls and thought, ’Great colour, but it’s not me’?
Stylist and Fashion experts believe that this is because we all have a particular colour palette that we belong to and feel our best.
Even though we may not be consciously aware of it, colour is important and helps us understand much about the world around us. It’s very possible that the sight of a red traffic light invokes the same sense of caution as the colour of green traffic light invokes us to move forward. Colour just has a very strong manner of communication and one that we can use to our benefit.
Wearing the right colour actually helps Personal Branding. Studies actually reveal that it has a significant impact on personal presences such as interviews, business meetings, sports and among other things.
Choosing the right colour palette according to skin tone, eye colour, hair colour also has a great impact on professional presences. Therefore, it is very evident to say Colour plays a pivotal role in our day to day life.
Here are some of the colour and their significant meanings expressed: –
• RED – anger, passion, fire, aggression, desire, excitement, energy, speed, strength, power
• PINK – love, innocence, healthy, happy, content, romantic, charming, playfulness, soft,
• YELLOW – wisdom, knowledge, relaxation, joy, happiness, optimism, idealism, imagination
• ORANGE – humour, energy, balance, warmth, enthusiasm, vibrant, expansive, flamboyant
• GREEN – healing, soothing, perseverance, tenacity, self-awareness, proud, unchanging
• BLUE – faith, spirituality, contentment, loyalty, fulfilment peace, tranquillity, calm, stability,
• PURPLE/VIOLET – erotic, royalty, nobility, spirituality, ceremony, mysterious, transformation
• BROWN – stability, simplicity, materialistic, sensation, earth, home, outdoors, reliability
• BLACK – No, power, sexuality, sophistication, formality, elegance, wealth, mystery
• WHITE – Yes, protection, love, reverence, purity, simplicity, cleanliness, peace, humility
• SILVER – riches, glamorous, distinguished, earthy, natural, sleek, elegant, high-tech
• GOLD – precious, riches, extravagance. warm, wealth, prosperity, grandeur
So, the next time you want to dress for success or impress at that job interview or even a date, what colour would you wear?